Friday, August 10, 2012

I love a good deal!

Last week I rediscovered eBay. I made several very exciting purchases. One of the ones I'm most giddy about is a collection of 32 Illustrated Classics that I picked up for less than $45.00. Check out the titles!


We started Peter Pan last night. I have a third-grade reluctant reader in the house so I have been working hard on recreating reading time. In the past, she has felt as though she is being punished when we ask her to read. That's the last thing I want her to feel!


In addition to silent reading, we will be reading aloud as a family several nights each week. I created a binder with various pre-reading, during reading, and post-reading activities. I also picked up a small dictionary so that we can look up and discuss unfamiliar words. My lil' reader will get a incentive sticker for completing various reading activities. When her incentive pad is full she will get a predetermined treat such as: ice cream with daddy, movie night, or a new book/toy. I also have a set of 28 books from The Magic Tree House series coming in. I even scored a set of 15 research guides to accompany The Magic Tree House books so that we can really dive into each book. There is a great website that includes games and many extras for this series. I sincerely hope we can change my reluctant reader into an eager reader. I think that this approach will have a positive impact on every member of our family.

Another good deal that I just scooped up at my local Bealls Outlet was a set Scholastic Learning Puzzles for $5.99 each. I searched them online and didn't find them for less than $8! Lil' Roo has really been enjoying the numbers learning mats.


Today we worked on numbers 1-3. Look at her go! She isn't quite ready to write the numbers on her own but she is GREAT at tracing them. The set comes with wipe-off crayons but I found them to be sticky and messy. We opted for an Expo marker instead.


First I pulled out just the numbers 1-3 and the star cards to match. Before getting the mats out we counted the stars and matched up the foam numbers to the cards. After that she matched the foam numbers to the the mats.


 She matched the star cards to each mat.


She then began tracing the numbers.


I think she might be a numbers girl like me!!!




Have you dealt with a reluctant reader? What did you do to encourage reading in your home? Leave a comment below. I'd love to hear some words of wisdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment